Tuesday 3 February 2015

Infinite incomplete knowledge.

Hello,

Here it is... My very, very delayed blog. I truly am sorry for not uploading last week however it means there will be two blogposts this week! 

Let's get this started. Personally I am a big fan of learning. Diving into unknown subjects storing every weird fact there is to find about it. Broadening my knowledge of a wide range of subjects. Subjects chosen at random. Subjects that caught my attention by seeing a picture of it somewhere or hearing someone on the other side of the room talking about it. All of them chosen at random yet all just as important. Some fictional some real, some from this world others from outer space. Curiosity is the word for it, I believe. The weird invisible force that drives you to discover things that are yet unknown to you. A word and a feature some people lack because without curiosity you will never learn, you will never go somewhere and you will never discover magical things. 

For me this already started at a very young age. Whenever I found something that got my interest I just had to know as much about it as possible. Every single little weird fact seemed important. So now my head is full the weirdest and uncommonly known facts imaginable. (Great for at parties though.) 
For example I've read every book our local library had on sharks. Which my family didn't really thank me for as on a holiday to France I informed them on every kind of shark that lives in the Mediterranean sea. The sea that was near our campsite, the sea we would be visiting very often with my sister whom is terrified of sharks.

Back to the subject of curiosity. As a baby you were possibly the most curious of your whole lifespan. Babies have only been on this planet, in this universe, in a specific environment for a very short time. Not yet knowing what is going on, what the rules are. These tiny humans don't really know anything yet so they have super much to learn. Everything is new to them and driven by the force of curiosity they encounter new things, touch them and sometimes even put in their mouths. Curiosity is also the thing that get's them to roll over, sit up, crawl and eventually stand up, walk and run. The older you become the more you know and that's, I think, where curiosity starts to fade. The more you (think) you know the less (you think) there is left to find out, to discover. And when puberty kicks in you think you know everything, that the world is all in your hand and you've already seen every aspect of life. Reality check, you haven't even started kid.

So there are always new things to learn, new things to discover, places to see, people to meet. There are reasons we still need scientists. We don't even know half of what happens in the seas and oceans. Don't lose your curiosity, keep searching for new things that you might like. Go outside, take a walk and look around you. There are so many things that seem very common to you since you most likely see them everyday. Stop and think, what do you actually know about those things? Nothing? Do you want to? Are you bored? Good, go online, go to the library and look those things up. Gather knowledge about them and let curiosity lead you.

Lots of love, ThatDutchGirl96



No comments:

Post a Comment