Sunday 1 May 2016

My day at Elfia.

GERONIMO!!!

Exactly one week ago I went to Elfia. Elfia is this epic Dutch nerd fest that is held twice a year. During the Elfia weekend people from a lot of different places come either dressed up or in their normal clothes and just enjoy the magical atmosphere that Elfia just has. It is absolutely lovely to see the many different kinds of people walking around, everyone is looking at each other but in the good "I really like your costume" or "OMG I know you I've seen you on TV" way. The Elfia festival takes place on the grounds of a castle which only improves the magical atmosphere. 

Before last week I attended Elfia once more a couple of years ago when it was held in Arcen (a small place not too far away). I went there with my nan and aunt. It was absolutely amazing and I was intrigued by all the different people and their amazing costumes (some just scared me a lot though). During this first Elfia experience I also got to meet Stanislav Lanevski, the actor who plays Viktor Krum in Harry Potter and the goblet of fire. I was utterly terrified but he was super nice and yeah I still have that picture and I absolutely love it. 

This time I attended Elfia at the Haarzuilen castle. I went there with a friend of mine whom I met on the internet (just a fun fact). She went as a Lord of the rings elf and I went as the 11th Doctor from Doctor Who. A character I've always (well since I've known the 11th Doctor) wanted to cosplay as, and considering the theme was Time and Space it seemed pretty relevant. On the train we noticed a lot of other Elfia attendees, they're pretty easy to spot since most of them were cosplaying as a character of a movie / TV-show / book. The festival itself was absolutely amazing, there were so many amazing shops, post zombie apocalypse grounds, medieval training fields. It was amazing and I really recommend you attend Elfia at least once in your life!

So as we were walking around I suddenly noticed something. The TARDIS was standing a couple of feet in front of me and the phone was ringing. As the Doctor I started to wonder who would be calling me today. Turned out it was my Companion Clara who I ran into a little later that day. Well I was pretty impressed by the TARDIS and when it started raining just then my friend and I decided to seek shelter in her. Thankfully she was bigger on the inside ;). Later that day we ran into her again on the other side of the castle. This time she was surrounded by the Dutch Time Travellers Association. Basically a Dutch group of Doctor who fans. I felt at home. We played the Dutch version of Werewolves of Miller's Hollow which was super awesome and fun. It was during this game that I ran into multiple versions of myself which was quite ood but hey at least the universe didn't implode. I also met Clara here so yeah that was a big plus. The werewolves were replaced by Timelords and the villagers were human Colonists that had stranded on our planet. I was a Timelord and eventually us Timelords won! Don't tell anyone but I was pretty awesome :). 

To cut myself short. Elfia is this amazing nerd festival in the open air that you definitely should attend when you're able to. During that day I met and saw a lot of really amazingly dressed people and amazing cosplayers. I also ran into a lot of Doctors and people kept yelling Doctor Who quotes at me which I found really funny. You don't want to know the amount of times people shouted "fezzes are cool" and "bowties are cool" at me. It was great. The atmosphere at Elfia is amazing as everyone just gets along and acts nice to each other. To quote Matt Smith: "I think that, if the world was a bit more like Comic-Con, we'd all be a little happier." This counts for Elfia too! I absolutely loved that day and I can't wait until my next nerd festival (probably Elfia Arcen in September).

So if I managed to convince you to go to Elfia one day please visit their website for more information, dates and tickets. I would also like to link the Dutch Time Travellers Association and The Dutch TARDIS because they are just really awesome and made my day a lot better! Oh and keep an eye out for a video of my day at Elfia on my youtube channel and a video/blogpost about how put my Doctor who cosplay together.


I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
ThatDutchGirl96






No comments:

Post a Comment