Friday 22 April 2016

ThatDutchGirl's survival guide: native or another language?

Hello my friends!

It's time for another survival guide lesson. Today's class will be about languages to blog in. This is a dilemma a lot of bloggers face, whether they just started blogging, want to start blogging of have been blogging for quite a while. In this survival guide topic I try to list some of the pro's and con's of blogging in your own language or another language.
As my native language is Dutch and I blog in English, English will be the language I'll use as the "other" language, so if you're native language is English this blog might not be of much use for you. (I'm sorry.)
One last thing, these are all my points of view so it's not really a steady standard or something, you're all allowed to agree or disagree with me and share your own thoughts on this topic!

Why blog in English?
This is a decision that, at first, was very easy to me, I just prefer writing in English. Furthermore when you blog in English you can reach a much bigger audience as a lot of people on this planet have English as their first or second language. Then there is the challenge I liked about it, as English is my second language, I'm not as good at it than I am at Dutch. However this made blogging a bit more exciting and challenging for me. Also, blogging in English allows me to write about more global issues or topics. 

Why blog in your native language?
Then there is blogging in your native language. You might find this easier and feel more confident to write blogs in your own language. Besides you can blog about local things, like local Dutch elections or a national holiday the rest of the world knows nothing about (like Sinterklaas). Blogging in your native language can make you feel more connected to your readers as it's mostly a smaller community than the big English speaking community. Blogging in your native language might also depend on what you want to blog about. When you want to blog about books and your country has a big or small book blog community it might be easier or more difficult to join them but that's just up to you to decide. Blogging in your native language might also make it easier to get a deal with certain companies however the Dutch blogging community has become rather big over the years so I don't know if you're chances are still that high nowadays. This should not be a reason to start blogging though!

Will I always keep blogging in English, probably. Do I know for sure, definitely not. Sometimes these things happen in Holland and I really feel like I should write a blog about it but then again it won't come across as good in English as it will in Dutch. This mostly leads to me discarding the blog and forgetting all about it. I don't know why, I could definitely post a blog in Dutch every once in a while because why not this is MY blog and I can post whatever I want on it. Maybe one day. Who knows.

Anyhow. If you don't feel comfortable writing in English or feel like you can connect more with your followers in your native language please blog in your native language. Do what you feel is the right thing to do. And if you just like the English language, want to improve your English or when English is just the language you're better at than feel free to blog in English! The language you blog in is something that can't be decided by somebody else than you! This is a choice you have to make!

If you have other reasons to write in English or your native language or something completely different, feel free to share your opinion in the comment section below!

Lots of love,
ThatDutchGirl96


No comments:

Post a Comment