Thursday 15 January 2015

Train adventures.

Hello!!1!!

Travelling by train, a nowadays very common and efficient way of transporting yourself from one place to another. Massive automatic iron worms crawling forward on an endless iron rail constantly going back and forth on various tracks to various places. A mostly reliable system that goes on all day long and repeats itself the next day. Thousands and thousands of people hop on and off, go to work, friends, events, meetings and many many other places, return to the station and hop on and off again to go back home.

I am one of those thousands of people that use the marvellous train system on a daily basis. Every morning I leave the house and make my way to the station where I patiently wait on a platform that gets more and more crowded with every minute, all waiting on that one specific train that will take us to that one place we need to go. After being on that train for half an hour it's time to hop off, change platform and the waiting starts again. Train number two arrives, this one is bigger just as the crowd waiting for it's arrival. It's one of the main lines that goes all the way from the north of the country to the south. 

The south, that's where I'm heading. I sit down in one of the many pairs of chairs, preferably the chair closest to the window so I can watch cities and open fields fly by. After I sit down I pray for being left alone, to not have a stranger sit down next to me whom will only distract me from the changing sights that will be shown on the nature channel, also known as the train window. Beautiful landscapes pass by in mere seconds to be replaced with a different landscape or a big city or an endless field of grass. Sometimes I spend my time on the train writing stories, on paper, in my head or on my laptop. Other times I decide to listen to stories. Listening to what the people around me have to say. One on his way to an important business thing, others, like me, on their way to school. Catching up on the latest stories and gossips from people I have never seen before and I will probably never see again.












Another 45 minutes later I have arrived, my final destination for the day. Ready to push the stories I just heard and the landscapes I have just seen to the back of my head and create space for all the knowledge I'll have to absorb throughout the day. 

As the day is finished, my head is pounding from all the facts, medical names and lack of concentration. Time to go back home, finally. I don't care whether it's dark outside or not, this is my relaxation time. Back into the iron worm, my seat at the window. Music on and ready to go. The train makes it's way back over the tracks showing me the beautiful sights all over again although this time it's a little darker outside. Lights everywhere. At this time of the day I prefer the cities over the landscapes as they light up brightly like a Christmas tree. 

Hop off and on and off again as I arrive back home. Head filled with marvellous landscapes, beautifully lit up cities and vaguely in the back of my head the medical terms and facts school has tried to teach me.

ThatDutchGirl96



No comments:

Post a Comment