Saturday 17 December 2016

Secret Santa Struggles.

What's up guys?

So as Christmas is starting to peek around the corner, my family decided it was time to start our own secret Santa quests again. Yayyy..... This year, like many other years I pulled my youngest sisters name from the hat. It's only the third year I pulled her name from the hat.... No changing the structure for me again. 

Anyway, when we do secret Santa we write down some things we would like to get, with our name. Now normally I don't have a lot of struggles with the secret Santa shopping. I do put a lot of effort in writing a poem, another family tradition we added, and the wrapping. For me it's all about the wrapping. Don't confuse that with rapping as I do not have any rapping skills what so ever. It's all about the WRAPPING. The wrapping paper was the easiest part this year, and don't worry, I will include a picture of the wrapped  secret Santa package. 

Back to shopping. Mind you, my youngest sister just turned 14 in October and is now in full on difficult teenager mode. This also means she's starting to get into a lot of that teenage girl stuff, teenage girls are into. Personally, I skipped most of this phase and never got further than putting on some mascara and occasionally having a cheeky photo shoot with a friend using my mums camera which I borrowed without her permission. Things like front cameras and selfies weren't really a thing back than, sorry for the culture shock. Anyway back to my sisters present list. Most of the stuff she put on there was pretty easy, she wanted a necklace, fairy lights, and a new charger for her phone. This was the easy part, now let me tell you where I started struggling with her list. It was at the point where I read: make-up brushes. Now as I mentioned before all the make-up I know, and use, is mascara for which you don't necessarily need a separate brush. My little sister however is all over the make-up and is actually quite good with it all too. Too bad for her I had to do the shopping. 

The budget didn't really allow a complete set so I had to prioritise now. So I walked into the pharmacy, walked towards the place they put the make-up brushes, thinking I would get this job finished rather easily. However when the make-up brushes caught my eye  there was an entire isle filled with them. All the different brands, sizes and sorts made me feel dizzy and lose hope slightly. As a 20 year old, I didn't feel like asking an employee just in case it's stupid for 20-year-olds to know nothing about make-up and the necessary tools. So I did the next best thing and asked a 12 year old with all the courage I had gathered and traded for my dignity. Thankfully she was very kind and ended up lecturing me on make-up brushes for at least 15 minutes. Her information was very useful if not mind blowing. The complexity of make-up brushes really blew me away. But I succeeded!!!!!!!!!! Hallelujah!

So yeah, that happened. Now all I can do is sit and wait until Christmas. Then my sister will open the presents and I will know if I choose the right make-up brushes. Or not.... So that 12 year old either saved my Secret Santa or ruined it completely, anyway I learned a hell of a lot about make-up and make-up brushes. Some valuable knowledge I've gained due to Santa. Fingers crossed!

Please let me know how you celebrate Christmas, or whether you celebrate something completely different in the comments!! Lets talk about Christmas!

Lots of love,
ThatDutchGirl96
(The end result)


No comments:

Post a Comment